Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hip Hop Meets Anime/Manga @ Kinokuniya!

Last week on Saturday I attended the Valentine's Day Manga/Anime event at Kinokuniya hosted by Hip Hop USA and Samurai Beat Radio.
I was most interested by this event because of it's anime/hip hop fusion. How many times do such "different" interests come together? There was even a sneaker designing contest that unfortunately I was unable to attend (the guy in front of me was the last person to get a shoe! >__<)

Although the idea as a whole was great, the execution wasn't. I was left pretty unsatisfied by the hip hop panel since their discussions of anime in American hip hop failed to include artists like Lupe Fiasco and Soulja Boy. Vice versa, they never mentioned contemporary Hip Hop Japanese artists like Crystal Kay, Exile, and Jero.  Besides sneakers and the panel, there wasn't much else that was very hip hop about the whole event. Most of the people that attended were yaoi-fan otakus or never-see-the-sun otakus and it was disheartening because I expected to meet other anime/hip hop fans like me. Still I found a way to have fun and forced Atomsk to volunteer in the maid dating game! :3

Check out some pictures of the event below and a video of what Atomsk won!








Hope you all enjoyed the post & stay tuned for more!

La Tenoli

1 comment:

  1. The lack of knowledge on behalf of the panel was almost embarrassing. However most of the crowd looked as if it wouldn't make much of a difference if they were informed on hip hop.
    Nonetheless it was rather entertaining if only for the people watching.
    Not to mention when you put me on the spot in front of those maids. -____-

    ReplyDelete